Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chairs...

Chairs... We are coming up the year anniversary of the day my dad passed away, it was Mother's day 2007. I was thinking of a way to write something about him, but I think I will let his chairs do the "talking"

These beautiful chairs are my Dad's creations, he and my brother (Keith) went to a school in New England to learn how to make these Windsor chairs. They got to spend time together and had something to show for it. It seemed like if this went on too many more years we would have had chair all over the house.

The one on top here is a high back Windor chair, the lazyboy of it's day! Or so my Dad told us, see he would being the chairs home 3/4 the way done some more some less, so he could put them together here. That way he didn't have to worry about HOW to get it back to Arizona on the plane. This one is the last chair he made. It wasn't quite finished, another arm had to made and well a few other things and as my Dad was in hospice, my brother spent a few days in between trips to see him finishing the chair. I could tell you the detail but when Keith would read this he would have all kinds of corrections! I know I will never do it justice. He brough the chair for Dad to see, sadly he finished it the day before he died and I don't think he ever really saw it. It sat in the room, I sat in for a few hours that day I lost my Dad. When I feel like I need a hug from my Daddy this is where I find myself...In this chair.




This chair is the first chair he made a classic Windsor, his last Christmas he gave it to me, not to keep but with a promise to make a set of my table. He made this one to fit him, although it fits my long legs nice too! It is just few inches higher than an average chair..




These two chairs live happily together in our new family room!















This next chair is a writting chair, it lives in Abby's room. She loves to have something that Grandpa made and sits and writes at it.






















There are three of them each kid will have one some day.

There is one other chair I want to tell you about, it is my moms...This is her Hithcock rocker. My dad gave it to her, it is where she rocked Keith and I as babies and the countless kids who were in her care. She loves to rock, she has rocked her grandkids here and as you can see her hands have worn it just perfect! Over the years as the paint was fading there was always talk of refinishing it, now I just look at it and see the beauty of her hands that have loved us all imprinted there. It is just perfect the way it is!

5 comments:

happymcfamily said...

Those chairs are amazing! What a great tribute to your dad.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

That is wonderful to have such special things made by your dad!

They are beautiful too!

Melissa

The Nester said...

Those chairs are works of art. What a fantastic memory to charish. get it?

And your mom's rocker, you are right, don't let any refinisher get within a mile of it!

Anonymous said...

Amy. First of all , thank you for visiting me from the Nester. Your story is so dear. It brought me to tears. I lost my brother almost six years ago. We were so very close. He lived nextdoor to me so you can imagine... I saw his face everyday. This June it will be the six year mark.... I know you must feel such a loss. I think those chairs are such a precious memory for you and to share with your wee ones. Take Care, Susie H

Sabrina said...

Those are beautiful. He was so talented and it's great the kids have such awesome reminders of him around the house. Hugs.