Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bachie's sewing chest...

This is my Bachie's sewing chest... (edited to add my Bachie is my Mom's mom)

It is a little unassuming table in my house, I have had it for a few years now. You see back in 2001, my Dad and I flew to Connecticut over Thanksgiving, we had Thanksgiving dinner there and then drove back to Arizona in my parents new mini van. I brought home a few treasures from my family, one being my Grandma's hope chest that Grandpa had given to her when they were first married and this...

My Aunt Jean cleaned out Bachie's apartment she was living in a nursing home, but had this cabinet set aside and since I am the "seamstress" in the family she sent it along with me. Now it was still full of stuff! Some great treasures were found inside...mostly sewing items some old some newer and some sentimental stuff too...

The top opens up here is a sampling of somethings I found....one of the sweetest things was a newspaper clipping of my brother in the picture above you can see his little face in the top right corner of the newspaper. I t would have been from around the time shortly after Poppy had his stroke and they lived in the bottom floor of our 3 family house.
This is the contents of one of the drawers, all kinds of treasures...

Over the years it has been a nightstand to me and I have tucked away a few things...some love letters from Jim, there was ticket stubs from the trip to Connecticut when Abby was baptized, the 4th generation of the family to do so at that church. A heart Abby painted for me after a famous trip to Grandpa's "toy store" aka the wood working store. A picture of my cousin Kathy's sons Tyler made it's way in there, ironically the only one she every really thought Polish words too, she always though he had a nice round Polish face...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what an awesome treasure you have. I have my grandmas old sweing box. I love to open it from time to time because it still smells like her sewing room. It just take sme back in time. You are blessed to know how to sew. I just play around! Susie H~