Thursday, August 7, 2008

Jobs jobs jobs...and more jobs...

My friends Sandra thought it would be interesting to actually know all the jobs I have had, it seems anywhere we go I say "I worked there" Last night when we were swimming I told her about a job I had that she never heard of, she was amazed! She said she would like to see a list one day...so here ya go Sandra

1. Papergirl - I delivered and collected the money for a small paper route in Terryville Ct. This was my first paying job! Can I say it SUCKED in the winter!

2. baby sitter, I put this only because I was a professional one! I mean I did it ALOT!

3. Breakfast server at Embassy Suites hotel (now Chaparral Suites) I got up at 4 am and went to work and came home smelling like maple syrup and bacon!

4. Dress makers Apprentice- I got school credit AND got paid, I did this most of my senior yes of high school.

5. Carimar Jewelery at SFS mall.- This was my first mall gig I had to pierce ears and I worked alone in the store. We had to wear a hat from the store 4 watches and some other ridiculous things! The first little girl's ears I pierced I didn't go all the way through which resulted in a bloody mess! I did end up piercing them and the mom was very calm and cool about the whole thing!

6. Everything but water- @ SFS mall. This was a great gig! It was during the Christmas rush and well we were not very busy at all! The down side we had to wear a swim suit everyday! Not only that but one off the racks and then put them BACK! You had to wear your panties but still! The grossest things happened at that store the store had no public restroom and the marble floors were cold and I couldn't tell you how many times when we emptied the trash cans in the dressing rooms that they will filled with PEE (yes urine) from upscale women buying $200 +++ swim suits!

7. The Nature Company at SFS mall - Oh how I loved this store it was nature inspired and I felt at home. I mean I got to use all the knowledge of rocks to use. I worked there for 2 years.

8. Ginza Southwest- A Japanese restaurant with a Scottish owner and Mexican prep cook who spoke no English, and a Japanese chef . the owner spoke Spanish with a Scottish accents and the Japanes chef spoke Spanish with a Japanese flair! I worked the counter along with a friend of mine when we were in college. It was in the closing days of the galleria and SLOW, we did homework and I learned how to use chop sticks

9. MCI- yes your remember the long distance company...remember their friends and family plan. What you did was narc out who you called and we would call them if they were not a customer already. I hated "out bound calling" telemarketing! You had to do it for 3 months before you could be transferred to inbound, which was easy! People called you because they saw a ad on TV. I worked from 3pm to midnight and we had several habitual prank callers. We even gave then names. One was the toe sucker he would call and hang up till he got a girl and then ask to suck your toes. Always added some excitement to the job!

10. PageNet -the world largest paging company...well at least then. I worked here the longest! I started out as a customer service rep and before leaving had become the customer service manager and an outside rep all while the company went through chapter 11, a reorganization, and a merger..During all of that we could only hire temps and I could go on and on about them! Don't get me wrong there were some great ones but man finding the trow up in the file boxes was a special treat!

11.oups forgot-- I worked a 2nd job at William Sonoma for awhile while working at PageNet. I did this on and off for a few years.

12. Davids Bridal- aka Bridal hell! I was the assistant manager, to a huge black cloud that no one I mean no one ever wanted to be around. Not to mention BRIDES AND THEIR MOTHERS. Really people think oh that must be so much fun and it could be with about 2% of your customers the rest are just miserable or their mothers are. Don't even get me started on bridesmaids!

13. Qwest- this was a short gig! I hated it there.

14. Wireless retail- Started as a rep and then was a sales manager then laid off. We re sold cell phones. There was a lot of good fun there..

15.Asst to a insurance man- B O R I N G-

16. Demetrios Bridal- Yes I am a gluten for punishment- and I do believe that all managers of bridal stores are cut from the same mold!

17.Urban Graphite now Studio Sprawl- One of the best jobs I have had, as far as being flexible and good people to work with and for!

So there you have it! 17 jobs!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Hi Amy, Sandra sink your link, loved your blog. Can't wait to meet you when you make the trek to Brissie. You got me thinking about all my jobs, both crap & rewarding. ahhhhh good times! Actually met Sandra at one of the crap ones! Cheers Megan

José said...

I don't remember if I ever told you the story.. when I used to teach middle school Algebra, my students were convinced that I was either a spy or on the Witness protection program. Everytime we were trying to make the algebra relevant, I'd say "when I used to work at..." or "When I was a ..." They're eyes would widen in amazement and ask how I could possibly have done so many diferent, varied things. When I quit a couple of weeks before the year was out to take my current job, one of my eight graders just said "so, Mr. Vm, time for a new assignment? No one will ever know where you went, will we?...." funny stuff... I just think that variety in your background makes you a better rounded person...

Love you,
Hoe

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, I can identify with Freaky Bridal party's as I have done many Hair-do's over the years for Brides and Bridemaids. Sandra talks of you often and I look foward to meeting you one day. I felt pretty boring reading about all of your interesting jobs as I have only had four and all in Hairdressing. The best part is the friends you meet along the way. All the best. Jan{Sandy's sister}